Advertisement

Atheists are Nuts

topic posted Thu, January 29, 2009 - 1:23 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
The is considerable amount of scientific evidence that suggest that theism is more conducive to mental and physical health than atheism.[70][71] The prestigious Mayo Clinic reported the following on December 11, 2001:

“ In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authors report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes.[72]

In regards to data that relates to mental health and atheism, in December of 2003, the University of Warwick reported the following:

“ Dr. Stephen Joseph, from the University of Warwick, said: "Religious people seem to have a greater purpose in life, which is why they are happier. Looking at the research evidence, it seems that those who celebrate the Christian meaning of Christmas are on the whole likely to be happier.[73] ”

Currently, there is an ongoing debate on whether atheism was a causal factor for Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity or whether it was caused purely through disease.Duke University has established the Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health.[74] The Duke University Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health is based in the Center for Aging at Duke and gives opportunities for scholarly trans-disciplinary conversation and the development of collaborative research projects.[75] In respect to the atheism and mental and physical health, the center offers many studies which suggest that theism is more beneficial than atheism.[76]

The Christian group Teen Challenge reported the following:

“ Teen Challenge claims of a 70% cure rate for the drug addicts graduating from their program attracted the attention of the U.S. Federal Government in 1973. Most secular drug rehabilitation programs only experienced a cure rate of 1-15% of their graduates. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, funded the first year of this study to evaluate the long term results of the Teen Challenge program.[77] ”

Teen Challenge has a number of studies that indicate the high effectiveness of their drug treatment program compared to other programs.[78]

Currently, there is an ongoing debate regarding whether atheism was a causal factor for Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity or whether it was caused strictly by disease.[79][80][81][82] An article published on the Hong Kong Baptist University website offers the following regarding the cause of Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity:

“ Trying to explain what caused his insanity can only be a matter of speculation. Some people believe it was the result of a physical illness. Others interpret his suffering as that of a true prophet, almost as if he were accepting the punishment on behalf of those who could not see mankind's tendency towards self-destruction so clearly. Still others regard his final fate as a natural outcome of his philosophical outlook.[81]

www.conservapedia.com/Atheism...l_Health
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Atheists are Nuts

Thu, January 29, 2009 - 2:19 PM
    Dan the Asperger's Kid strikes again, 20 new lengthy threads on the same subject in one day in this tribe alone. How does he find time for anything else?
  • Re: Atheists are Nuts

Thu, January 29, 2009 - 2:27 PM
    Ha!Ha! Dan, this is called the "placebo effect". When a person THINKS something is going to help them, it has healthy effects. I do not see why spirituality would be any different than medication when it comes to what is real and what is percieved.

BUT......

To pick one Atheist and assume Atheism caused his mental illness is a very very lame attack on that religion. Because here are some Christian Occultists who are mentally ill AS A DIRECT RESULT OF CHRISTIANITY and the perversion of doctrine:

1. Pat Robertson -- "We have enough votes to run the country. And when the people say, "We've had enough," we are going to take over."
    "We at the Christian Coalition are raising an army who cares. We are training people to be effective -- to be elected to school boards, to city councils, to state legislatures, and to key positions in political parties.... By the end of this decade, if we work and give and organize and train, THE CHRISTIAN COALITION WILL BE THE MOST POWERFUL POLITICAL ORGANIZATION IN AMERICA."
    "There is no such thing as separation of church and state in the Constitution. It is a lie of the Left and we are not going to take it anymore."
    "I think George Bush is going to win in a walk. I really believe that I'm hearing from the Lord it's going to be like a blowout election of 2004. It's shaping up that way. The Lord has just blessed him.... I mean, he could make terrible mistakes and comes out of it. It doesn't make any difference what he does, good or bad. God picks him up because he's a man of prayer and God's blessing him."

2. Jimmy Swaggart -- (On homosexuals) "I'm gonna be blunt and plain, if one ever looks at me like that I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died."
    " It's a humorous statement that doesn't mean anything. You can't lie to God - it's ridiculous."
    " Sex education classes in our public schools are promoting incest."
    " If I do not return to the pulpit this weekend, millions of people will go to hell."

3. A A Allen -- (American faith-healer of the Christian huckster variety)
    "When you can turn people on their head and shake them and no money falls out, then you know God's saying, "Move on, son."

4. George W Andrews --(1906-1971) US Representative from Alabama
    "They put the Negroes in the schools, and now they've driven God out."

The list is extensive, so I will leave it here for now. But it is far more than one Atheist loosing his sanity.Ha!Ha! How many Atheist quotes with regards to instructing or forcing others to believe in Atheism on television and government can you find? Not many I assure you.

As you know I am a free thinker, not Atheist. but I know plenty of Atheists and they really dont care to waste their time arguing with people who believe in invisible friends. They are not nuts, they are not evil, and they are nowhere near as dangerous as the religious zealots within Christianity and Muslim religions. When was the last time an Atheist waged war to force people to not believe? What Atheist group blows up abortion clinics? Do you have a link to ANY Atheist evangelicals?

I mean really, what can you possibly say is bad about simply not believing? Seems to me like it would take a lot of stress off of someone to not have to please this owner/master/creator by adhering to the rules in the ancient book that might or might not be translated correctly.Ha!Ha!

• Unsu...

Thu, January 29, 2009 - 2:37 PM
      This is a general interest debate tribe.

Dan, in the course of a few minutes, posted about 15 separate lenghty threads, all on the same subject - athiesm. He lectures us with his diatribes against athiesm, to the exclusion of any other interest.

Day after day, tribe after tribe, Dan engages in the same pattern of behavior while oblivious to the annoyance he causes. Unaware of social norms, and unable to pick up on social cues from the negative responses he gets, he responds to the boredom and annoyance he causes by lashing out with insults and dismissing everyone as inferior.

This behavior is a clear symptom of a mental disorder. Asperger's Disorder is the most likely diagnosis.
    • Unsu...

Thu, January 29, 2009 - 6:09 PM
      "As you know I am a free thinker, not Atheist. but I know plenty of Atheists and they really dont care to waste their time arguing with people who believe in invisible friends."

Actually, this is not true Adam. Many atheists love to debate and argue with theists, particularly the ignorant and uninformed variety, which is why my debates with them are now few and far between. Atheists hold to an untenable faith in the non existance of God. They gain strength by trying to point to what they perceive to be the flaws in theism, particularly Christianity. Whenever and atheist debates, he refutes his own position!:-)